Sunday 30 November 2014

Flint State Forest

I dropped into Flint State Forest earlier this week hoping for a quail sighting. It was late afternoon and I had about half an hour to spare on my way to Brookton. I hadn't seen a quail since I started my life list so I was excited about the chance of finding one even though time was against me. But as soon as I stepped out of the car, I saw a quail, frozen, staring at me. By the time I fumbled for my camera and tried to sort out the settings, it had gone. No lifer. But the consolation was some young Western Yellow Robins who weren't so camera shy.

There was also a family of very active White-browed Babblers who were sticking their heads in holes in the ground, flitting about the low branches of scrub and so on. These birds are all personality and so they're very entertaining to watch. When they noticed me, they retreated into a nest which was a large, messy affair with side exits.  It was about head height on a spiky kind of plant.  There were a few nests in close proximity but only this one appeared active, and although the chicks had fledged, it was clearly still home. They poked their heads out of the holes to keep an eye on me then decided I was no threat and continued with their antics. The light was fading so I couldn't watch them for long, but I'll certainly be back. There's a quail there with my name on it...


Western Yellow Robin








Dusky Woodswallow











White-browed Babbler

No comments:

Post a Comment